The Future of Tech, News and making sense of it all!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Google Reader-Plus and opting out

With the most recent news of the demise of Google Reader, I started to go through all of the stories I had "Starred" while using such apps like REEDER, which would allow me to view Google Reader items offline, while flying for example. These are articles that I would want to read in more detail and possibly blog about with my own comments. I had articles going back to 2010 so it was high time to do some house cleaning.

I came across this article from Dave Winer about opting out of Google Plus, which at the time obviously caught my attention since Dave is a very strong advocate of RSS (the RSS godfather so-to-speak) so when it comes to RSS issues and any article about this, especially from Dave himself, I tent to take note.  So today when we see how Google has decided to dismiss the RSS service altogether and implement Google Plus, it does make one take a second thought as to just how much you invest in to it, when you see just how easy it is for a company such as Google to throw it out with the bath water when ever they see fit to do so.  

It is this sort of future-thinking through historical articles that are going to make a difference of how we see services making a difference in our day to day lives and paying attention to such key people like Dave Winer become so obvious!