The Future of Tech, News and making sense of it all!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Chromebooks-Pixel-What are they Good For?


With the most recent release of the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 as well as the many Apple Macbook/Macbook Pro computers already flooding the market, the Chromebook has always taken a backseat.  The Chromebook Pixel which is Google's flagship laptop is already at version 2 which was released back in March 2015, is most definitely a player.  With both Intel i5 and Intel i7 processors available there is no shortage of CPU performance. In most recent benchmark tests, the Chromebook blows away the competition still and this machine was released in March of this year! 

As Joe Wilcox pointed out in his (excellent) review, gone are the days when you couldn't compare the Chromebook to Windows and Apple devices due to the lack of app support as well as working offline.  We now live in a time when everything we really want to do is real-time or online, such as facebook and twitter, so regardless of the computer you are using you are most likely going to be needing an internet connection. Joe goes on to mention the 'future proofing' of Chromebooks as Google releases new builds at least monthly which typically increases performance over time.

Security and safety while surfing the internet is not a problem with Chromebooks either, saving you countless hours/time and money on ongoing maintenance.  How much is this worth to you depends on your computer usage but you can be your own judge. I personally like to compare my Macbook Pro (mid 2009) which I had been using as my main computer, up until 2 or 3 days from now, when my new Pixel arrives and so I knew it was time.. the old gal, although it is still functioning well, is limited in processor power for my needs. After all, it's an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 Ghz which I have replaced the original hard drive with 360GB SSD as well as a 750GB Data drive, pushed it to the max 8GB of RAM.  I'm already on my second battery and at about $130 a pop for just over 3 hours of continual use, I just can't justify that sort of expense.  With the new pixel this old gal will become my #2 with my existing Acer 720p Chromebook (with touchscreen) as my #3.  The only reason the Macbook will remain the #2 is because I also have Parallels on it along with Windows 10 so I'm covered for all O/S's.  I have a semi-retired original Macbook (unibody white late 2007) which I use at home mostly as a internet to tv device. At least with this (really old) gal, the external removable batteries have been great. I bought a second battery back in the day for long term travel needs which has since died so it is limping along on the original Apple battery which gives me just over 1 hour of use--not bad for an 8 year old battery! My original 2009 Macbook Pro battery didn't live up to its expectations at all, as it dropped down from just over 4 hours of use to just over 1 hour of use in about 2 1/2 years.  The fact that I was swapping out my Macbook batteries is probably why the original is still working.  In all fairness I guess, the second battery that I have installed on this Macbook Pro is now nearing 3 years so I can't complain.. it did outlast the original.  With the Pixel getting 12 hours+ this is what I am talking about in portable computing! Even when the unit drops to 50% of its battery life, that is still longer than I was ever getting with my Macbook's!

All this I write before I have even turned on my new device and that is because it hasn't arrived yet, but knowing how much I use my existing two chromebooks... My first one is the Samsung 1st Gen (XE303C12) which is still the lightest and thinnest in the market but it is rather sluggish compared to the Acer 720p, but using it as a 3rd monitor allows me to do things like keep my email open all the time while I work from my other two devices. Considering these devices also provided me with 100GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years as well as 12 GOGO in-flight wifi, they have paid for themselves quite easily.  With Pixel providing 1TB for 3 years on Google drive that is certainly worthy as well!  My true review will arrive within a week as my new baby arrives on Wednesday and given all the positive reviews I have already read, mine should also be glowing.. I know I will be!