The Future of Tech, News and making sense of it all!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

RSS Readers going Pro

With the most recent release of the PRO version of Feedly, the news reader that quickly became the leader for aggregating the RSS feeds once Google Reader shut down, I truly do want to go pro but find myself questioning the need for this.   I must admit I was seconds from signing up for the lifetime plan when it was announced for $99 but figured I would sleep on it.. that ended up with me not getting it at all due to it being sold out.  Now, with the $5/month or $45/year plan available I am teatering on whether or not I really need this.  That is, until I went to do a search within my feeds and get pushed to 'go pro now' page. It appears they have teased us with all these wonderful features only to take some away for those Pro users. I guess it makes sense because really, what else is the need to go pro?  Sure you can have one click to Evernote but you can still do it in two clicks if by no other way then utilizing your email address that comes with every evernote account and simply mailing the story to yourself there.
Then I think about the fact that, 'what's $5/month or even less then that when you go $45/year it's only $3.75 per month, when I have spent $2, $3 and even $5.99 on various news reader apps for my iphone/ipad over the years (REEDER WAS GREAT). I guess for me, I'm wishing they would bring back the $99 lifetime deal because then I know I wouldn't hesitate. I think for me, maybe its the recurring fees that I just can't get in to when it comes to internet services like reading my news.