The problem was I went to bed after doing so and during the night windows upgraded itself to the latest build so I didn't think about the bios until after I had reverted back to the previous build--that didn't work.. used the image backup disk that I had created--that didn't work.. and then, as I continued to search for solutions through the many forums where many people had the same problem, one such site mentioned editing the bios default o/s however this wasn't an option within the 'insyde bios' even by performing a hard reset. So I got to thinking maybe I'll just go back one version, to v44 and see what happens. Viola! The wifi is working..
So in conclusion, DO NOT upgrade to v48 as it appears that is what caused the loss of wireless. V46 seems to work just fine. And, considering the upgrade was done with an older version (v42) and windows 10 worked just fine, I am sure upgrading to v46 only won't be a problem. In fact it is the solution!